15 mar 2012

La moglie del dittatore. Questa signora, Asma al-Assad, è per me il personaggio più enigmatico dell'intera vicenda araba.
I thought of Syrians I had met who spent years in prison for opposing Hafez al-Assad, of the stories of torture I had heard. I thought of accusations of murderous policies pursued under Bashar al-Assad, of corruption among his relatives. It made for a jarring juxtaposition with this earnest talk of bureaucratic reform. You grew up in a capitalist democracy, I said at last. Didn’t Syria seem kind of crazy to you when you moved here?

“Um,” she said, momentarily searching. When she began again, she spoke more slowly. “It’s a process. And I know. I’ve seen the end of the process, if you like, and we are moving toward that objective.”

2 comentarios:

  1. Va anche detto che i nostri standard di democrazia capitalista sono il risultato di un'evoluzione di secoli.

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. Sì, ma credo che la signora Assad abbia tutti gli elementi culturali per capire che reprimere nel sangue le proteste non è esattamente il cammino da seguire. Nemmeno da un punto di vista strettamente personale.

      Eliminar